Posts Tagged Risk factor
Family Medicine – Focus on… News Article | The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomised trials |4075225.
In a stunning analysis, researchers found that the healthiest among us do as well or better on statins than the sickest.
The results found that: “Reduction of LDL cholesterol with a statin reduced the risk of major vascular events (RR 0.79, 95% CI 0.77–0.81, per 1.0 mmol/L reduction), largely irrespective of age, sex, baseline LDL cholesterol or previous vascular disease, and of vascular and all–cause mortality.”
In other words, we all need statins, STAT! Everyone should take them, because they are good for everyone. Forget all those silly risk factors, and above all, forget that life could possibly be lived without taking prescription medications.
These are the answers to life’s ailments and gosh, they would all individually be good for our statistical lives. But somewhere in all that goodness is a creeping uncertainty. We just haven’t done the studies on the interactions between all these miracle pills.
The term polypharmacy applies to an ever increasing portion of the population. At five or more medications (and yes, we include your multi in that mix) no expert in the world can truly tell you what’s going on in your body over time.
I wonder if they factored that into the glowing report that statins are great for everyone.
- Statin Medication and Cholesterol (everydayhealth.com)
- High Cholesterol: Can You Avoid Statins? (everydayhealth.com)
- Statins could benefit health of millions (guardian.co.uk)
- Can Statins Cause Energy Loss? (wisdomandhealth.com)
- How Bile Acid Sequestrants Help Lower Cholesterol (everydayhealth.com)
- Statins Could Benefit Everyone, Study Suggests (inquisitr.com)
- Benefits of Widespread Statin Use Outweigh Risks (nlm.nih.gov)
- Guest Post: Data, Drugs, And Deception – A True Story (forbes.com)
- Lowering Cholesterol – Long-term Multiple Drugs Effective (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Oh I have high Cholesterol, I must cut out fatty food, and take statins and ……… STOP please and get informed. (deeoconnor.wordpress.com)
Words You’ll See A Lot Ofacrylamide alcohol Amgen Arctic Bath Salt Boston University Business Canada Cancer cannabis Carbohydrate CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Chickenpox chips Chris Chris Maloney Christopher Christopher Maloney christopher maloney maine CNN Conditions and Diseases Current Time diet Emergency management ER (TV series) Facebook Food Engineering Gambling gene Hand truck Health Humor Indigenous People John P. A. Ioannidis Lotteries Lottery MacArthur Causeway Maine Maloney Maloney Maine Medicine Mehmet Oz Miami Milk miracle berry Miraculin Monty Python Narwhal Naturopathic Necrotizing fasciitis Ohio Olympic Oz Pain party Paypal poking fun Police officer Pox party Quiddich Richardella dulfica Scientific method Shopping Snack food Synsepalum dulcificum Taste Textile Time Tomato United States Urgent care Weight loss West Africa Zombie apocalypse