Ok, how disturbing can one article be? First, one of my personal nightmares is being involved with some death-defying contraption and having it fail on me. I avoid bungy-jumping and sky diving for this reason. But I have zip lined in the past, figuring it for a relatively safe thrill.
Poor Aimee Copeland went through one of my nightmares, having a zip line break on her, and right into another. After she survived a zip line breaking and gashing her leg, she went to the E.R. They stapled her up, and didn’t clean the wound properly. The next two visits to the E.R. produced nothing, then they diagnosed her with flesh eating bacteria.
The poor woman is at death’s door. Her family is taking donations.
Update: As of May 11, Aimee is still in critical condition.
The above is serious, the following is meant to be humorous.
So where’s the humor? In a sick joke sort of way, Venice Beach has decided to put in a zip line on the beach. By announcing today they must have hired the world’s worst publicity agent, who decided to ride the “vibe” about ziplines today.
No word yet on whether the flesh-eating bacteria option will be a standard part of the the Venice ride or an extra death-defying fee. Which raises the question: if the Venice beach “in” crowd all get the flesh-eating zombie look will that become what’s popular on college campuses in the fall? Just when I was getting used to piercings.
- Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria after zip lining accident – Fox News (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- Freak Zip-Lining Accident Leaves Woman Ravaged By Flesh-Eating Bacteria (huffingtonpost.com)
- Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria after zip lining accident (foxnews.com)
- Student who cut leg on homemade zip line has flesh-eating disease (jacksonville.com)
- Aimee Copeland, 24, battles flesh-eating necrotizing fasciitis following zip-lining accident (cbsnews.com)
- Flesh-Eating Thrill: Zip Line Costs Student Her Leg (abcnews.go.com)
- Ga. woman battles flesh-eating disease (onlineathens.com)
- EXCLUSIVE! DJ Pauly D-ROPS Down A Zip Line! (perezhilton.com)
- Georgia Girl Struggles to Survive After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria (5min.com)
- Gwinnett woman fights for life against flesh-eating disease (ajc.com)