Posts Tagged Necrotizing fasciitis
Ok, how disturbing can one article be? First, one of my personal nightmares is being involved with some death-defying contraption and having it fail on me. I avoid bungy-jumping and sky diving for this reason. But I have zip lined in the past, figuring it for a relatively safe thrill.
Poor Aimee Copeland went through one of my nightmares, having a zip line break on her, and right into another. After she survived a zip line breaking and gashing her leg, she went to the E.R. They stapled her up, and didn’t clean the wound properly. The next two visits to the E.R. produced nothing, then they diagnosed her with flesh eating bacteria.
The poor woman is at death’s door. Her family is taking donations.
Update: As of May 11, Aimee is still in critical condition.
The above is serious, the following is meant to be humorous.
So where’s the humor? In a sick joke sort of way, Venice Beach has decided to put in a zip line on the beach. By announcing today they must have hired the world’s worst publicity agent, who decided to ride the “vibe” about ziplines today.
No word yet on whether the flesh-eating bacteria option will be a standard part of the the Venice ride or an extra death-defying fee. Which raises the question: if the Venice beach “in” crowd all get the flesh-eating zombie look will that become what’s popular on college campuses in the fall? Just when I was getting used to piercings.
- Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria after zip lining accident – Fox News (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- Freak Zip-Lining Accident Leaves Woman Ravaged By Flesh-Eating Bacteria (huffingtonpost.com)
- Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria after zip lining accident (foxnews.com)
- Student who cut leg on homemade zip line has flesh-eating disease (jacksonville.com)
- Aimee Copeland, 24, battles flesh-eating necrotizing fasciitis following zip-lining accident (cbsnews.com)
- Flesh-Eating Thrill: Zip Line Costs Student Her Leg (abcnews.go.com)
- Ga. woman battles flesh-eating disease (onlineathens.com)
- EXCLUSIVE! DJ Pauly D-ROPS Down A Zip Line! (perezhilton.com)
- Georgia Girl Struggles to Survive After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria (5min.com)
- Gwinnett woman fights for life against flesh-eating disease (ajc.com)
In a turn for the downright macabre, a female bath salts use was partially eaten after her indulgence in injecting bath salts generated necrotizing fasciitis (that’s bacteria eating you alive).
Above is true, below is humor.
Trying to exploit the trend, drug manufacturers are advertising the “piranha soak,” where patients indulge in bath salts while being eaten by actual piranha. “Man, such a high!” said one recently created amputee. “It’s like all that adrenaline from being eaten just mixes with the whole crazy paranoia and gibbering that the salts gives me. It even beats the high I got getting hit by that semi a month ago.”
Medical personnel were vaguely supportive of the new trend. “Currently it takes eight people to restrain a bath assaulter. Two for each limb. Fewer limbs means fewer personnel required per assaulter.” Other assaulters had this to say: “the devil man, the devil is in my head!”
Why anyone would want to inject or use this synthetic mix of amphetamines is beyond me.
- Flesh-eating Bath Salts (weeklyworldnews.com)
- Bath Salts Will Get You High, Just Not the Ones at Your House (bellasugar.com)
- Injecting Bath Salts Can Lead To Flesh Eating Disease (inquisitr.com)
- Bath Salts… (thedrugroad.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Put That In Your Body!!! (interesting12.wordpress.com)
- Injecting Bath Salts Causes Woman to Lose Arm to Flesh Eating Bacteria [Gross] (jezebel.com)
- Woman loses arm, shoulder after injecting bath salts (foxnews.com)
- ‘Bath Salts’ Identified As New Source Of Flesh-Eating Infection (medicalnewstoday.com)
- ‘Bath salts’ ID’d as new source of flesh-eating infection (scienceblog.com)
- Jesus Take The Wheel: Woman Loses Arm From Flesh Eating Bug After Shooting Up “Bath Salts” Drug (bossip.com)
- “Bath Salts” and Flesh-Eating Bacteria [Dean's Corner] (scienceblogs.com)